Friday, December 24, 2010

A short History

I thought I'd share some of my history with you just to fill you in.  Here goes:

Once upon a time i was taken along to the Boys' Brigade at the age of 6.  Since then I've been to the BB as its affectionately known every week i was available.  That's quite a long time.  So when I reached the grand old age of 18 i decided i couldn't bare to leave and so found myself as a leader in my local company to try and pay them back for the good times I'd had.  It had always been a place of friends no matter who you were and i could always count on a night to cheer me up.

If you don't know it, the Boys' Brigade is a Christian Youth group for 5-18 year olds.  A night teaches you anything from sports to Bible study, learning all sorts.  Not to mention the parents love getting a bit of piece and quiet.  Now i wasn't particularly christian and rarely went to church but it even gave me that consistent link to God as loose as it was he kept me in sight.

Of course when i moved to Uni some might have thought I'd leave it behind, but something made me keep at it and i soon found another Boys Brigade Company nearby and despite communication problems i turned up at the door and was welcomed in.  I'd at that point met a whole new family, and this one was big.  The people i could depend on from then till now.  I took leadership training and became a warrant officer in the Boys' Brigade being taught a basic understanding of working with kids, learning new games and analysing how to run activities well.

This led me into getting a lot more involved and hopefully I have helped in bettering some of the boys' lives.  I took to working with kids quickly and it became more enjoyable to me perhaps then engineering.  Thus the first crack appears in my plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment