Monday, December 27, 2010

Learning to try...

So we made it.  We arrived at the CHICKS site and got our first glimpses of the massive building with its football field, basketball and, the piece de la resistance, the built in trampolines.  The kids swarmed off the bus, then swarmed all the way back to pick up their bags and ran along into the building.

The next week was then spent without a break with so many great things to do.  From softball, to rock climbing and archery as well as gorge scrambling and horse riding.  The fun never stopped, even in between activities they get to go off and play football, trampolining and a whole bunch of indoor games.  They never got bored, not that i did either.

Mealtimes were just as fun with little quizzes and some great food that seemed never ending, being a student i indulged myself.  However one of the teachers put a young boy into my care for mealtimes, he wasn't so fond of them.  Simply he didn't enjoy eating, something i could relate to from my early years.  Not that they told me that, he was just sent to see me when he was complaining at feeling ill.  They'd spent many school lunches coaxing this wiry little lad into eating and had respectfully failed.  I somehow befriended him and spent my first lunch explaining the need to eat, turns out that's not the way forward.  However he did eat, not a great deal but nonetheless I'd gotten to know him.  The rest of my week he'd hunt me out at mealtimes and make sure he could sit next to me despite constantly trying to get him to eat.  He'd realised i wasn't so different, he may have had a hilarious accent, i didn't but we clicked in some way and by the end of the week of sitting by my side he was trying all sorts, from only eating bread, butter and cheese to everything i could find.  When you've conquered something like that you get a great feeling, you've succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment