Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The bus apppeared over the horizon

So i was sitting there, outside Exeter St. Davids eating lunch and playing several genres of song on my Guitar when i saw the bus turn the corner.  Bright white with the CHICKS logo written boldly down the side.  I hastened to pack my guitar in its carry bag as though the bus would be gone within minutes with or without me.  I slung it on my back and heaved up my massive sports bag and stumbled under the weight across the road before composing myself on the other side and striding up to the waiting passengers.  Introducing myself i was then told these were the wrong people, my bus would be allong soon.  Oh, all the effort of crossing the road for nothing, nevermind.  I did meet one other person from my camp, a girl my age, we talked, both slightly nervous of the impending week.  Our bus then appeared and drove allongside, the driver jumping brightly from it and welcoming us.  Our things were loaded and i just wanted to get going, but we were missing something, something quite important.  The Kids.  Yep, no sign, they tried the mobile, no answer.  They're supposed to be here by now, but no.  We waited almost an hour before a group bundled out of the doors of the station.  8 kids between 8-11 years of age and 2 adults, more volunteers.
And so it Began.

Diving in at the deep end, i knew nothing.  I met the kids on the bus as the atmosphere filled with excitement.  It was a little bit daunting to be honest, i'd worked with kids before, but this was a week with kids from totally different backgrounds.  CHICKS takes children from all sorts of places across the UK, but they all have one thing in common, they don't get any other holiday in the year.  Some have had terrible things done to them, abused emotionally and physically, or they're young carers for other family members with ailments, maybe they are stuck in the system in foster or care homes and children who are living in Poverty.  Things some people don't even believe can exist in our world, as simple as the fact that families are still forced to live in poverty, which i can assure you of.

Anyway, these kids were the same as any other.  The volunteers were their teachers, 2 women who happened to have a sense of humour, thank goodness.  They were certainly going to need it.  The week had yet to unfold and i could already see it was going to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment