Tuesday, December 21, 2010

hmm no job...

So i didn't have a job for the summer, a problem for any person let alone a student delving into the overdraft!  However at that point i knew exactly what i wanted out of life and how i was going to get it, my plan was set for years ahead.  I would be a Mechanical Engineer.

You see i've always been that type of person, i like to know how things work.  Most average people ignore the contruction of the simple objects they use, not saying i'm better then average although eccentric could possibly be the right description for me just in a different mindset.  I spent years working for a garage fixing allsorts of problems with cars of every make which kept the mind going but lacked interest when every car is pretty much the same, there's a limit to what you can learn.  Of course outside of that i would pull things appart if they broke (or i just couldn't resist it anymore).  This still and probably always will be a habit of mine so why not make it a proper job.  With mechanical engineering you can design or build anything you like, for someone like me, the world is your oyster.  So i went to university and it was easy as pie the first year and finished with an average grade easily enough to get into 2nd year.  But i still needed something to do in the summer.

My garage job had gone so i had to start looking, i tried several places i knew of course and then online for anything of interest.  As the summer drew closer i decided i just needed anything that would keep me busy for a while.  So i started looking at unpaid jobs, volunteering anywhere i could.  That i think, is when the problems i have now really started.  I found a place that asks for volunteers to help out for 6 days at a time.  I liked the look of it and signed up there and then, yet more CRB checks of course.  Meanwhile my sister was still looking for jobs for me and she'd found one, manufacturing something i'd never heard of, sounds cool but that'll come in later.

This summer had gone from being quiet to being the busiest summer in my entire life.

So i headed for CHICKS.  A charity for disadvantaged kids, nothing engineering about it, but it looked like they were helping people, it just stood out to me.  Country Holidays for Inner City Kids as it's known was more then i ever expected.  I'd been worried about turning up, whether it was ever going to live up to the marketing on their website, if a holiday could possibly make such a difference to a child.  Anyway i turned up at Exeter St. Davids railway station after something like a 5 hour journey having had to head in and out of london at rush hour to find myself there early.  Luckily the weather was great and i sat down under a tree in view of the station and cracked out my slightly battle scarred guitar.  I was and am still learning so no i wasn't exactly great, i play for my own enjoyment not others, any and all stress just leaves upon playing a few well timed chords.  I'd bought a meager lunch from a nearby shop and satisfied that appetite of mine for a while.  That of course is when the bus turned up.

No comments:

Post a Comment