Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stepping up in Youth work to take a step back

Now I've become a more permanent placement in our city the idea of me becoming the captain of the Boys' Brigade company is being brought up more and more.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but a rapid change in the way I might work with the young people!

Currently a lieutenant, I am placed in charge of planning and running activities, especially games.  Which is testing but so worthwhile and somewhat fun in truth.
However by stepping into a captains role, in fact leads you to taking a step back in running programs.  You are then responsible for the entire night in a more supervisory role.  Expected to talk to parents where possible, to help with other issues the family might have.

On the Youth side the role is more in being a respected and trustful role model as I see it.  From speaking to other captains this often involves, depending on your style, attempting to chat with each of the young people throughout the night, inspections and devotions.  In fact one officer said he hasn't come close to running an activity for months!
I must admit that I generally attempt to do so anyway in terms of speaking to as many of them as possible when I am not running the activity.  It is something that I have enjoyed throughout my time with companies.  By getting to know the members personally a link grows and issues are far easier to deal with, although more issues often arise.

However as I'm in my early 20's and certainly childless myself, respect from parents is hard to come by unless they've seen me actually running activities which is rare.   Where a parent has little control has perplexed me at points I must admit.  Parents often appear to miss the part where I have 15 members in my charge and can deal with most situations when they only have the 2 and are still, in some cases doing it wrong!  Yet another stumbling block to be passed on my way.

But in general, I shall be shadowing the captain when possible and the training comes soon.  Whether I'm ready or even in such a position to take over is the real question.

No comments:

Post a Comment