Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A giver or a Taker

Which are you?
The traveller i met still has more to say.  If you haven't read the first one go back to "the Traveller" but this post explains my outlooks changing.
The traveller was still sat opposite me as i made my way to CHICKS.  He'd told me his best and worst chances in life.  But then he began saying how he finds it difficult to take, not a euphemism but taking gifts or other things from people.  He much preferred giving, it was in his way of doing things.  He had told me of his philanthropy of the people he'd tried to help.
I finally decided to tell the truth.  I apologised and began to explain how i had been embarrassed to say that my true destination was a charity helping some of the most disadvantaged kids of Britain.
He accepted it quickly, he told me there was no need to be embarrassed about something so great.  How he could tell givers a mile off and that's why he'd talked to me in the first place.  So i went on to explain my first CHICKS camp, the kids and people I'd met and the difference in 6 days.  About everything, the way it was all changing my life and how good it was.
Then he asked me for a favour.  To explain what he'd learnt to those kids so as they keep on the right path.  That those kids, no matter how hard their lives are can get through them and become great.  They can do or be whatever they want to if they put the effort in and to never ever give up.
I ensured him i would do everything i could.
At that point the train pulled into the station and he said goodbye and disappeared into the town, I'll never see him again.  The near anonymous stranger, i knew his name but he could be anywhere living in the back corners meeting the shadows people try to ignore.  It was as though he'd been sent to find me, of all the people on that train, of all the trains he could have gotten on, he found the person who needed to hear what he had to say.  Then once we'd said what we needed to say he was gone.  Like the prophets of old exclaiming their message and disappearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment