Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Behind the bully

As a child I was bullied, that's just how it is.  Lots of people get bullied especially if they're short and ginger, a bad mix.  I can't complain that badly, my bullies got to me but were not nearly as bad as the stories I've heard.  Not to say it didn't matter.
So when I see bullying I hate it.  So when one of the kids at camp was loud mouthed about people I did not like him.  He summed up the people from my experiences and made me despise him.
He was placed in my group on the wednesday when we were given free roam of crealy theme park.  Great.
We went round several rides and he was having fun, we shared some jokes and ran round like crazy.  However it came to the swinging ship and they all wanted to go on except him, the bold, loud kid was now the nervous little boy.  I tried to quell his fears but to no avail.  So I stood off with him and we talked about stuff before racing each other to the toilets, jumping a fence!  It seemed like he'd expected me to put him down and when I didn't he realised he could sort of trust me.
Then we all went off to the flumes where he refused to go down on his own, scared, but there was a 2 man donut and he decided he'd be alright if i came down with him.  By the bottom the fear had gone.  I had however seen him for who he really was.  Which became even more prevalent that night.
I settled down to read them a story which so far had been difficult every night, it was still difficult.  But he butted in to talk about his life, his dad was in jail and he lived with his grandma.  What a way to live.
You see he's just like any bully, they're not essentially bad, a lot of the time its just the way they've been treated.  It's to protect themselves, they often have low self-esteem and by putting the Target on someone else people don't focus on their faults.
I'd like to say that he didn't bully anyone for the rest of the week but I'd be lying.  He had gotten better though but it takes more then 6 days to fix some issues, you just have to do what you can.
To be honest you'll never stop bullying, but some people need to be told that its not acceptable and others might just be lacking someone to care.  Most of all no matter how bad someone is I believe that if you give them enough chances they'll show their good side.

No comments:

Post a Comment